Inner Wanderings ~ Janet Dwinells ~ May 1 2020
What Do I Do Now?
Our world is turned upside down. We want to turn it right side up and get back to normal. Unsettling as it is, we can’t change the world, so the only thing we can change is ourselves ... that’s adaptation.
I see our “Adaptation Quotient” as a vital intelligence we can develop, as a choice to 1) intentionally open our mind and heart to spacious, invigorating ideas, 2) envision a uniquely desirable vista, and 3) consciously place ourselves onto a new path of behavior moving forward with ease, grace, creativity and love.
There is no greater need for us all than to recognize that this moment in time is pregnant with new possibilities, if we can adapt to our new environment.
The Reality of Our World Today
After 2 ½ months of being in quarantine from this global pandemic, I can say with certainty that “everyone on this planet can presently locate themselves in some stage of grief: 1) Denial, 2) Anger, 3) Bargaining, 4) Depression or 5) Acceptance.” For the truth is that all change requires a death and a rebirth, and this pandemic is without a doubt, one of the most impactful deaths we have ever experienced. The death of the world as we knew it. Yet this means it is time for a rebirth. For ourselves and for all of humanity in this defining moment of our global oneness.
Feel Your Feelings
So if you find yourself in one of the first 4 stages of grief, please have patience and give yourself time to move through it. Feel what you’re feeling, release the pain in a safe way.
And, at a certain time, and each person will know when, it will be advantageous to come to a place of acceptance. It is then that adaptation to our new reality can begin and hopefully we can move into our future with full consciousness of who we are and what we want to create. For we are truly co-creators and this is our chance to rebuild a stronger future aligned with who we truly choose to be.
Rethinking Our Strategy
So the question becomes, “who do we choose to be?” For those of us who can acknowledge and choose to adapt to this forced change, the possibilities are endless. There is no better time to re-envision our lives than now. Since we are in the position of not knowing what the future holds for us we might want to begin by:
2) taking a few steps back, a few deep breaths, and
3) re-envisioning our lives going forward.
How can we adapt to a future we can’t see? Here are some helpful tips for doing just that.
1) Start Slowly: Recognize that adapting is a slow process – it doesn’t happen overnight. Be patient with yourself.
2) Journal Your Innermost Desires: Imagine there are no limitations. Who would you be if you could be anything you choose. You can!
3) Create a “This I Love” List: Simply brainstorm all the things you love. What would you be doing? Who would you be hanging around? Where would you be spending your time? What beauty can you create in your life? What would you be manifesting?
4) Commit to Doing One Thing Differently Each Day: Perhaps a new morning ritual? You could meditate for 10 minutes, or journal, read, draw, exercise, play music, listen to music, sing, dance, or start a spiritual practice. You name it. But do it every day and hopefully at the same time so the process becomes a habit. This instills a sense of self-worth, and moves you into new territory. Enjoy.
5) Practice Self Care: Recognize when life is becoming overwhelming and give yourself a break. Honor your emotions. Let your feelings out safely. Give yourself time to notice the beauty all around you. Take that luxurious bath. Dine mindfully with candles, nutritious foods and your favorite beverage. See the humor in life and practice self-love.
6) Connect with Others: Call a friend or loved one, get in that free Zoom conference, join an online book club, go to a virtual event. The possibilities are endless now-a-days.
It is my hope that we can all find the courage to begin the process of adapting to this new world we find ourselves thrown into. One who can shift mind and heart to encounter new perspectives and take new actions is practicing the skill of adaptability. This is a tried and true way into a future of your own creation. I hope you enjoy your journey.